Wednesday, November 08, 2006

The PRESSURE

I've been MTBing for a few years, and these past couple have gotten more serious about it. I've started entering a few races and joined a couple organizations which help maintain trails in my area: CAMBA and MORC.
One of the fun things for me is learning something new. Like today: I had always scoffed at lowering ones tire pressure to the 35-40psi range for MTBing. Pinch flats, it will make me slower I thought. A friend finally got me to try it today and instead of my usual 55psi I went at 40psi. The difference was amazing and immediately apparent. My tires used to bounce off of rocks as if my tire was a giant ball bearing. Now at the lower psi my tires can actually grip the rock! Cornering is also better, but I didn't want to push that one too hard.
Biking in MN at 68F in November: it doesn't get much better than today.

3 comments:

rigtenzin said...

Please don't cry when you get a pinch flat.

You're probably going faster now, because your bike sticks in the turns.

Anonymous said...

Now you're going to get pinch flats...



....and lower gas milage. Personally, give me 110 psi or give me death!

-allen

Jackrabbit Slim said...

off road at 110 psi your death may be more immenent than you wish